The wings are represented by the numbers on either side of a given type as seen on the Enneagram symbol or diagram. These types are said to have an additional influence upon the type being looked at. The wing types for type 8 are type 7 and type 9.
Although type 8 is influenced by both wings, an individual will generally be influenced more by one of the wings than the other. The wing with more influence is said to be the preferred or dominant wing.
Type 8 wing 7 (8w7) - preferred 7 wing
Common Name: The Independent
- more active and goal oriented
- more aggressive and competitive
- more impatient and impulsive
Type 8 wing 9 (8w9) - preferred 9 wing
Common Name: The Bear
- more laid-back and grounded
- more reserved and steady
- more prone to comfort and routine